Sunday 1 March 2015

Portugal: Day Three // Castelo de Sao Jorge



Day three brought more wanderings around the impossibly charming streets of Lisbon. It seems that the further up the steep side streets you go, edging further away from the commercial centre, the more captivating the city becomes.

I adored the colourful terraces and cobbled streets. They seemed to be soaked in history. In fact, one street even had black and white photographs of it's previous inhabitants hung up. As you walked along, you could literally see the history of the street. I totally feel in love with that idea but somehow don't think it would have the same nostalgic appeal on my street here in Hastings. 





I have no idea why they are crocheting a coat for this tree but I appreciate it!



Some of us braved the hundreds of steps up to the viewpoint over the city. However, some of us (ahem, me!) were far too lazy and when they saw the glass elevator eagerly waiting to take us up with minimal effort, well it seemed rude not to! This is the view of the others waiting for us at the top.






The view point is only two thirds of the way up the hill and so we continued our climb a little further to reach Lisbon's famous castle, Castelo de Sao Jorge. The first fortifications on the site are thought to date back as far as 2nd Century BC but today is home to Moorish ruins and a castle that has been extensively added to and renovated over the centuries. Its majestic and remarkably intact. Better still, the views over the city are unbeatable. It's worth the entry fee for them alone.





















After our fill of imagining ourselves as princesses, it was time to listen to our rumbling tummies and find a spot for lunch.


Steve's little friend. 


Tinned fish is BIG in Portugal. I don't get it but I LOVE the shops full of colourful tins. So pretty!

2 comments:

  1. I love the colors of the buildings. Very pretty. I also think I need peacocks in my life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ginny, I know they're gorgeous!! I love how colourful houses can be in mainland Europe. x

      Delete